Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Organization Plus

After my father died, and Mother was ill off and on for several months, we decided to move her to our home. We have a nice walk-out basement that is finished as a MIL apartment, complete with a living room, small kitchen, dining area, bath, and bedroom. That's one of the reasons we moved to this house - in anticipation of one of our parents moving in, too.

Of course, we didn't expect it to be as soon as it was, and when we moved in, I made this area into my sewing stewdio. I had custom cabinets built in for all my tools and supplies and "resource materials". I couldn't very well tell her that this was *her* space, and then use it freely as if it were mine, could I? I wanted her to feel that she hadn't given up her independence AND privacy, so I moved a few things upstairs to the sunroom along with my sewing machine. We moved a large sofa out, and moved a recliner there, too, so Mother could sit in the sun whenever she wanted while I sewed . Mother lived with us for about 18 months before she moved into a retirement community not far from here.

When she moved, I was going to move all my things back downstairs, but after a bit of thought, I decided to just stay put. I love watching all the birds and the changing angles of the sun and weather. Here's how the sunroom stewdio was organized for maximum usage. Unfortunately, I missed my storage cupboards and how I used them downstairs, and they just couldn't be repeated here in the sunroom. I still keep my "resource material" (aka stash) downstairs in the cupboards, but I need to keep some of my stuff where it is easily accessible.


Here's how I more or less kept my mess organized...until......















I went to JoAnn's yesterday to find a bit of fluff for some leaves, and when I went in, I discovered it was Clean Sweep Day. Almost everything was 50% off, and many things were 70% off. I didn't look too hard to see these fabric covered boxes, either. When I walked into the foyer, they were stacked sky high, and they just fell over into my path. 70% off! Did I say they were 70% off? And I also have an AQS discount card for an additional 10% off anything at JoAnn's including sale items! Whooee! I loaded up on them! Got every one them but the hamper style and the circular hatbox style. I stayed up last night until almost 1AM just to get them organized. I moved the old stainless steel shelving back into the pantry, and moved the baker's rack into the room.

Of course, I had all the help I needed, too!






















Here's all the boxes, labeled and ready to go!

I even had enough left over for my small book rack. I used them to organize my notecards, my adhesives and fusibles, and plastic bags, and the biggest one has my resource of 30's repro fabrics that I am using for several current projects.

10 comments:

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

The boxes look AWESOME! Is this a weekend sale? hmmmm.it's 2:30 right now...can I still run to my joanns today and find some bargains?!??

*grabbing keys and heading to the car*

Bonnie

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow - everything looks so neat and organized. Enjoy your new look.

Cheers!

Evelyn

Sarah said...

Love the boxes! I especially like the stripes! Congrats on getting so organized.

Sarah

Cher said...

you really did a terrific job on making your stewdio look ready for a house beautiful photo layout!
what a lovely setting in which to sew/quilt in! and it's always nice when you can take advantage of such a great sale!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Wow, 80% off - I told ya I needed to go shopping with you. Everything looks sooo great.

The Calico Cat said...

LOOKING GREAT! & you got cat approval too. I just got fabric lined baskets at Michaels. Though not nearly as many as you.... I can see a shopping expedition in my future....

Laura said...

I love the boxes! Getting organized always makes me get excited about sewing and creating again!

Darcie said...

Oh your boxes are adorable, Sharon...I'm so envious...but glad for you!!!

I don't suppose the JoAnns that I'm going to tomorrow will still be having their insane sale, will they? Darn!!! Guess I'll have to pacify myself with a new book or some new fiber or some thread or some....

;-)

Anonymous said...

Your boxes look fabulous - you'll enjoy your space so much more now! Love your nameplate too :-)

Anonymous said...

wow, how wonderfully, and prettily organized! great deal!