Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Big Bad Momma!

The Big Bad Momma of all quilts is finally done - or at least it's a flimsy, as my friend Nancy says:) It finished out at 106" X 117". I modified Bonnie's Patches and Pinwheels pattern to use 2.5" strips that made the blocks a bit bigger. I really like this quilt a lot, and I think I will probably make another one using smaller strips out of my bins.

We have a deep mattress king bed, and my quilts never seem to drop quite far enough. Well! I think this one will! I always put my big quilts sideways on the bed and make a matching pillow case to go along with it. Since I never make a pillow roll on my bed, this works just fine for me!

The first picture is of the backing folded on top of the quilt underneath on my sewing table. The second photo is the quilt on my design wall (without borders). I couldn't decide whether to make another row all around or to add plain borders. I guess you can see which one won, right? This quilt was originally started at the beginning of the summer for my birthday quilt by my stitch group, The Amazing Quilt Babes.



Now, it's off to the quilters for a true finish!

14 comments:

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Yes, it is big--and a lovely quilt

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful! Congratulations on a fabulous finish! I may have to start this one myself...

antique quilter said...

It is awesome!
congrats on finishing this one...
Kathie

Nellie's Needles said...

WOW!!!

Teresa said...

wow, and its just beautiful.

Gretchen said...

Beautiful quilt! I love it!

Jeanne said...

It is gorgeous! I really love it. Add another one to my list of must do. "G"

Pati said...

Beautiful quilt! I also made this one in all blues for my niece for her high school graduation. I like the idea of making the strips a little bigger. Like you, I will do this quilt again!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Golly, this is a nice quilt, Sharon! I made a wall-hanging version out of hand-dyed fabrics for my office some years back and it is still one of my favorite quilts. there's a pic of it here:

http://nancynearphiladelphia.blogspot.com/2007/04/serendipity-quilt.html

Carol said...

WOWSER! It is awesome!

Bonnie said...

Sharon, my sister Nancy(nearphila) told me about your quilt when I was thinking what to make for my granddaughter-by-affection who is graduating high school in June. She will love this one! Can you tell me what size the half-square triangles need to be? I want to use up a lot of 2-1/2" strips for the 16 patches.

Quiltgranny said...

Bonnie, I remember you! I was Nancy's Secret Santa and you were my angel!

I used the 2.5" strips from my stash, and I used my 5" nickel squares for the pinwheels. If you draw a line diagonally through the center, then stitch on either side of that line (1/4" away), that gives you two half square triangles for the pinwheel. I then trimmed and squared them all to 4.5". If you look closely at the quilt top, you'll see that I used the same values but not necessarily the same fabrics for all the pinwheels. Be sure to make 1/2 of your pinwheels "spin" the opposite direction. If you are following Bonnie's directions, she has a good picture of what I mean. I made sure to sew two of the same color pinwheels at the same time, one each spinning the opposite of the other. That way I could make sure that I didn't end up with too many of the same color pinwheels in any one row.

Have fun with it! I really like this quilt so much, I've already started another one!

jacquie said...

wowsers! this is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Looks like one I am working on right now. The Thimbleberries Paddlewheel quilt. And here I bought the pattern and I could have used Bonnie's for free! Goes to show that nothing is really original! http://www.rivercityquilts.com/patterns/quilting-pattern-82.cfm