Search This Blog

Monday, January 26, 2009

Stand by for something different

I was contacted a few weeks ago by a nice lady who asked if I would be willing to make a quilt for her (rather for her daughter).

"Sure, says I. What do you need?"

She wanted a quilt made from some of her mother's (grandmother's) clothes. This lady died last year and they want a memory quilt made from her clothes. Apparently she had contacted numerous quilters who all turned her down. I find that rather, sad, don't you? Last week, she and her daughter brought the clothes to me, all nicely washed and pressed.



We visited a bit about styles and colors, and now I've been working on their quilt. I interfaced all the fabrics which took a while, and then cut all the strips I needed. After some playing around with the color combinations, this is what I have so far.

The borders will be white, with more strips of the shirts running vertically on the left and right sides to make the quilt finish at approximately 54" X 74". I hope they like it.

I'd like to get it to the quilter this Thursday if the weather permits. She has a backlog right now, and she's also planning a little getaway to get away from this nasty season of cold, cold, cold!

6 comments:

floribunda said...

I like the way it looks so far -- haven't ever tried working with t-shirts. Good for you, for agreeing to do this!

Sweet P said...

What a wonderful quilt and gift you are making! I wonder why other quilters turned the project down.

Debbie said...

Your color arrangement is fantastic, Sharon. It's so nice of you to do this for them. I'm sure they're going to like it!

Anonymous said...

That is so nice, it will mean to much to the family. After my sister died I finished up a quilt she had started so that it could be given to her grand-daughter, I think it's a wonderful remembrance.

Lynn Dykstra said...

what an excellent choice of pattern to showcase the fabrics--they put this project in good hands!

jacquie said...

i'm so glad you said yes. what a wonderful thing to do!