Search This Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood`

It was a glorious, beautiful day today in the Midwest! We decided that we would get Christmas decorations outside, and move the last of the summer garden stuff inside the shed. We managed to get all but one tree lit, along with 12 wreaths hung along our walkway. Our neighbors add their identical wreaths along our shared fence, and when it snows, it looks like a lovely lane with the greenery and the red bows.

We're taking off in the morning for a quick trip to Las Vegas. I'm missing my mom a lot these days. Her birthday was a few days ago, and Thanksgiving was always *her*day to gather us all together. Instead of trying to duplicate that for the rest of the family, Hubby decided that I should be whisked off for a spa day at the Bellagio, and dinner at our favorite restaurant, Picasso's. We'll also see Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian, and probably walk the Strip if the weather is decent just to people-watch. We're hoping the winter storm that has been mentioned by the weather-guessers will hold off until we return. We actually should be home on Wednesday night, and have a nice quiet day of football on T-Day. You know we'll be glued to the TV for the KU/MU game here, too!

I've been helping a new friend do a memory quilt for one of her daughters. She was here on Thursday, and this is what we got accomplished. She has one more section to add to the bottom that has another large star in it, but that will wait until after Thanksgiving. I'm liking the looks of it a lot!

Hopefully, the Bellagio will have a beautiful Thanksgiving display in the Conservatory while we are there. I'll post pictures when I return. Stay safe!

3 comments:

QuiltMom said...

Hi Sharon,
What a beautiful design for a memory quilt. I have made two wall hangings one for my in-laws and the other for my own parents. Finding the right setting for the pictures is quite difficult. I am sure the person receiving this quilt will love it a lot. Enjoy the next few days in Las Vegas.

Regards from A Western Canadian quilter,
Anna

Quilts And Pieces said...

Glad you had a good time to relax in Las Vegas. And I love this idea for a memory quilt! Finally taking some time to catch up with everyone!

Jo Raines said...

This is a beautiful memory quilt. I made one for my parents' 50th anniversary but my mother died three months beforehand of cancer. Luckily, I had made it for her by Mother's Day so she did get to enjoy it for a brief while and we hung it at her visitation and old students and friends enjoyed seeing it.