Search This Blog

Monday, July 30, 2012

Progress!

Since my last post, I've been a busy little beaver! I've organized all the blue fabrics, and the Aunt Gracie's 30's reproductions. I've washed and washed and washed fabrics as I've worked. Of course, I have a little help now and again when I am wrapping fabric on my mini-bolts. Ms. Bonnie is quite happy to help! I am ruler-folding the fat quarters up to 2 yards, and making scrap tubs of each color instead of keeping them with the original color tub. As an estimate, I am wrapping nothing less than 3 yard pieces and mostly 4-5 yard pieces on these mini-bolts. I have one left of the box of fifty I started with. That makes a total of 150-250 yards I have wrapped - and I'm only through TWO hundred tubs of fabric!
Ms. Bonnie anchoring 5 yds to wrap!
     In the background of the last picture, you see my current rescue mission.  The Buggy Barn hearts blocks/quilt.  I've been trying to get a quilt ready for our local Juvenile Diabetes Kids for Courage organization's annual auction in November.  Every quilt I've started has had something wrong with it, or I just haven't liked it.  I was complaining at my last Amazing Quilt Babes stitch day that I didn't know what I was going to do and I was running out of time.  Well, Amazing Quilt Babe Vicky said she had a quilt (that we had all worked on a couple of years ago) that she didn't care so much for, and if I wanted it, I could have it.  So I ripped it from her hands and ran down the street, I said thanks ever so much, isn't that pretty and brought it home to see what it needed.
     I don't remember working on this quilt at all, and come to find out, I was out of town when they all did it.  But, here's what I think went wrong with it after the blocks were completed.  The blocks are a weird size: 9" X 13" and in order to make to fit anything, Vicky (with the advice of the other Babes) added a wide vertical sashing.  Before I finished taking it all apart, I remembered to take a picture of part of the blocks with the original sashing.
5" vertical sashings.
     So, I cut them apart, making the sashings 1.5" and saved the "waste" part that I cut off.
New 1.5" sashings
     Then I added another 1.5" strip of this really cool bubble fabric I found in my hoard resource center.  
Straight 3" sashing
     Not liking just the straight 3" sashing between the blocks, I started using the waste parts and made these cool little setting squared for each joining unit.
Now with a cornerstone
     Look hard, and you will see the one that I tried on for size and style before making a gagillion of them.  Now, this quilt is well on it's way to being completed again, and hopefully it will be to my quilter within the week.
     I've been going to a deep water cardio-blast class in the early mornings for the last 9 months, and this week, the pool has been closed for cleaning.  Instead one of the gals in the class invited us to swim off her dock at Lake Winnebago about 10 minutes from home.  I am not in this picture, but that doesn't mean I didn't brave the water.  I usually don't get in water that I can't see what's in there with me, but with these brave girlfriends, I figure I can do just about anything!

2 comments:

a Matula ikrek said...

Those bubbles are a great choice to complete the gap between the shiny hearts.
Just go on with wrapping but take care to not wrap Ms. Bonnie too. :o)

Annie said...

That quilt is going to be amazing!